Friday, April 4, 2008
Tonsils
I finally received an answer to why Blake won't sleep at night! It's been a solid 7 weeks since he has slept through the night. With the exception of 2 nights....(side story) I called the pediatrician and I was telling the nurse how Blake snores so bad and doesn't sleep through the night. The nurse told me to give him benedryl for two nights and that will usually break up with cycle of him not sleeping. I thought her advice was a little odd, but I tried it and it worked for those 2 nights, but that was it. Anyway, I got to thinking that his snoring had to be the reason he was waking up so much. Blake snores SO bad no matter what position we put him in. Finally, yesterday Chris and I took Blake to the Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor and found out that he has enlarged tonsils. His enlarged tonsils has been interfering with his normal breathing, sleeping, speaking, and has caused him to have sleep apnea. Chris and I had recorded him snoring and after hearing that the doctor knew right away that he needed his tonsils out. The doctor only had to peek at Blake's mouth to see his big tonsils. So, next Friday he getting them out! We debated when we should have it done, since I'm supposed to have this baby around the 15th. We decided that we should get it done before the baby, so that we can focus our attention on Blake and his recovery. My induction will just have to be delayed until he is recovered. The doctor was confident that his recovery wouldn't be longer than a week. And from what I've read he's right and maybe even sooner. It felt so good to finally understand why Blake has had such a hard time sleeping and with his talking! The doctor said we'll have a whole new little boy after this. His talking will most likely improve, he'll sleep 100% better, he'll eat better and he will have a longer attention span. We got the answer to all our questions yesterday and it felt good! And who knew that all this time it was just his enlarged tonsils causing us so much grief! The next few weeks will be interesting with Blake having surgery and adding another member to our family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Poor little guy! I'm glad the ENT was able to figure it out so quickly! Have you or Chris had your tonsils out?
Chris had his adenoids out, but not his tonsils.
So weird, but we just found out our nephew who is about to turn 2 has the same thing. He is also having his tonsils out. I hope it goes smoothly for you guys.
Oh that is so sad! I am glad you were able to figure it out before the baby came! I am sure if you hadnt it would have been quite the experience!
I am so glad that there was an answer. It feels good to feel like you aren't crazy and there is a reason. Now if you could find out why Sadie won't sleep through the night, that would be awesome! :)
im quite a bit older than blake, but i had mine out about 2 years ago and it is the best thing i have ever done!!!! i sleep much better, and i haven't had a sore throat since. he'll thank you in years to come :) good luck with everything!
Hi Sis! I think this is a great thing...I have talked to a few of my friends and they know people who have had it done for their small children and it solved a lot of problems for them. My friend Cori's sister in laws's son had the same problems with sleep and not talking and after the surgery he started talking almost right away. I will be worried about him in their though...I hope it goes good and that he doesn't get scared. Love ya!
Post a Comment