Last Saturday Blake and I went to the Bee's game. I was a little nervous about Blake being bored at the game so I invited my good friend Dan Sorensen and his Boy Luke to come with us.
I had an idea to make it more fun for the boys and more stressful for Dan and I (take Tracks). I figured Blake and Luke would love to ride the Choo Choo to the game. I think that the boys really enjoyed the train ride. When we finally got to the ballpark stop I got Blake down from the train and set him down. Blake right now is trying to be super independent. He refuses to hold your hand or be held. So to get from the train to the entrance of the stadium was a very stressful undertaking.
I set Blake down out side of the train and asked him nicely to hold my hand. His response "No". I said "Okay, but you have to stay close". Blake is usually pretty good at sticking close by me if I just give him his space. So off we went to walk down 1300 S. In game time traffic with a 2 year old walking by himself. Great! Once we actually got to 1300 S. I got scarred of all the cars and demanded that Blake hold my hand. You guessed it "NO". So I picked up Blake and began to walk to the stadium. Blake had an absolute fit. At about this time Dan yells to me Cross. Well I wasn't looking to cross yet, but Blake now wanted to be on the other side of the Road with Dan and Luke. So Blake and I keep walking down 1300 S. Waiting for our opportunity to cross. I was holding Blake and he was kicking and screaming like I was kidnapping him. We got a lot of disgusted looks from the other fans as we made our way to the game. We finally crossed the road and me up with Dan and Luke. I put Blake down and he did pretty good walking the rest of the way to the game. Once we got in the stadium we got the boys some treats (popcorn, churros, and a huge sprite). Then we got down to where our tickets were there was a group of people sitting in them. So we decided to go down and sit right on the first row by first base. The kids did pretty good. Blake and I sat for about 3 or 4 innings and Luke lasted about 2 innings. At that point Dan and Luke went and walked in the outfield, and Blake sat on my lap and ate his popcorn and watched the game. I was amazed. It was so much fun sitting with Blake on my lap watching and sharing something with him that I absolutely love. Blake kept hanging his sippy cup over the barrier. I thought for sure he was going to drop it and make them stop the game to get it off the field. He didn't though. While Blake and I were sitting and watching the game a left handed hitter fouled a ball off that bounced down the fence line by where we were sitting. I picked Blake up and leaned out to reach for the ball and I caught it. I held Blake up and showed the crowd that we had caught the ball we got a pretty good applause from the crowd. I was pretty proud that I was able to catch the ball while holding Blake and his popcorn. We sat back down I gave the ball to Blake. I heard a lady behind me say that I had sacrificed my son to catch the ball I turned to look at her and out of the corner of my eye caught Blake about to throw the ball on the field. I guess he is a cubs fan! I was able to grab the ball out of Blake's hand just as he tried to throw it. After that Blake wanted to go walk around so we went to go find Luke and Dan. In left field at the stadium they have a playground for the kids. Blake and Luke loved playing at the playground. Blake loves to pester other kids he sits at the bottom of the slides and just tries to bug the other kids. After the playground we decided to go back home. As we left the game Blake said "bye bye baseball" We lasted at the game until the 7th inning which was a big improvement for Blake from the last time we went. Blake was tired at that point so he let me carry him on my shoulders back to tracks. We had to wait about 25 min. For the train to come. Blake loved running back and forth at the station just to make me nervous. Then when the train came to go in the opposite direction Blake thought that was a great time to throw the sippy cup on the tracks. Dad, being the brave man that he is, jumped down to get the cup and save the day. Finally our train came and we got on. There was no where to sit but we managed to keep the kids together. Finally we got off the train to go home and Blake said "bye bye Choo Choo". I had a great time spending time with Blake I hope that we always enjoy doing things together. He is so fun right now and I love him so much. I am so glad that Alli got us so many tickets this year even though we have not been able to go to a ton of games. I don't think we would have gone on this trip if we didn't already have the tickets. Thanks Alli for helping me spend time with Blake.
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Once again Chris, you are a terrific father!! I'm glad Blake enjoyed it so much! And let me just say if I was with you and the lady made a comment like that I would've given her a nice back hand. HAHA! Probably not but I would glared for sure. ;) I miss baseball... we need to go to another game together!
chris i'm impressed by your catch! And i thought the opposite of that lady i thought you were helping you kid have a good experience!
LOL...your such a good Daddy. I will kill that lady that said that though...it is a good thing I wasn't there because I do not like comments like that. Anywho...way to go on catching the ball...you still got some skills I guess ;)! I love you and miss you...we should do a double date and mom and dad can watch the boys!
I am so happy I know you have a blog! We love you guys! Brooke and Jason
Post a Comment