Wednesday, January 23, 2008

What do I do?

Okay, so this week I decided to remove the front of Blake's crib to get him ready for his 'big boy bed'. We are switching him to his big boy bed this weekend. I was actually surprised how well he did. Naps are great. He goes down without a problem. And it's really nice that I don't have to go get him when he wakes up. He just makes his way down the stairs. The only downfall is that he doesn't take as long of a nap. Bed time is a whole different experience. The past couple of nights it has taken us so long to get him in bed. He refuses to lay down, so we end up rocking him to sleep (which Chris usually did anyway) and praying he doesn't wake up when we set him down. The catch is, is he wakes up at about 11:00 and wants to be up. It is a major struggle for us to get him back to bed. He screams so loud and fights us until our patience is gone. Usually about an hour after our battle he gives in and falls back asleep. We are good until about 6am when he wakes up and bangs on his door to come out. He can't open the door yet, and I would just let him stay in his room until I'm ready to get up, but he kicks that door so hard that it's not like I'm going back to bed anyway. Blake used to sleep in until 8:00! So 6:00 is super early for me, especially after our battle at midnight with him. So, my question to all you experienced parents is what do I do? Do I put the front of his crib back on at night so that he'll sleep and leave it off for naps? Do I just work through this and maybe he'll stop getting up at midnight after a week or so? After all...I will have a newborn soon, so its not like I'm going to have the luxury of sleeping until 8 anyways. Anyone have advice for me?

4 comments:

Day by Day Design said...

Oh the joys of motherhood!... I can't wait! Sorry no advice, just sympathy!

HBC said...

I would say lock the door to his bedroom. HA! :) I'm going to be a mean mother.

Mower Family said...

The door is already "locked" because he can't open it. The problem is he kicks the door so hard that I'm afraid that he'll put a hole in it. I can't wait until you have kids so I can hear your woes.

Jessica said...

I have some ideas! First when you put him to bed lay him down and sit on the floor until he falls asleep but don't rock him(easier said than done) but with in a week I bet he is doing it by himself. Then, do it again when he wakes up at eleven. He might be waking up
scared that he will fall out and that may be why he's waking up so early. My kids all took at least a week of waking up at weird times when they changed beds. Then they went back to normal. Just a few suggestions. Its hard, I sympathize with you.