
This is a very long post, but I want to document it for our family journal. Please bear with me.
Blake and I are going to a Daddy and Me basketball class on Tuesday nights at the Riverton City Building. So far it has been a challenge. The class is for kids ages 3 to 5. There is about 25 kids in Blake's session. Blake is the youngest kid in the class by far. He is so funny. The first week we got there like 10 minutes late because I got home late from work. Blake had a very hard time joining in with the class that week. We pretty much just threw the ball for a couple of minutes then he looked at me said " Watch Backpack (Dora)" "Chocolate milk" and decided that basketball was over for the week.
This week I made it a priority to get there at least 10 minutes early. We made it there early. The coach was there setting up and there were a few other kids there playing with the basketballs. Blake surprised me. He ran to the big red bag and grabbed a ball. He went over to the hoops and stood directly under the hoop and closed his eyes. He gets so shy around other kids in this class. I kept encouraging him to just have fun. After a while the coach gathered all the kids in a line to take a few warm up laps around the gym. I told Blake to go get in line and he did. I could not believe that he did it. It was one of those moments as a parent when you are so happy to see your child trying to socialize in a big group on his own. Maybe it is a bigger deal to me because I feel like Blake is really shy, but I was so proud of him joining the group. Then the coach had the kids start running. Blake followed the rest of the kids for about 10 feet then he got nervous and closed his eyes and trailed off. Once he opened his eyes he realised that he was very far from dad he came running to me all excited. I had him wait for the other kids to pass and then encouraged him to follow the last kid and he did. Then the kids were instructed to spread out and do some stretches. Blake stayed with the group and tried his best to follow the coach's instructions. He touched his toes reached for the sky and ran to Dad. Then the class broke in to groups to do the station drills. Our station was running first. Blake was not interested at all. At the gym where the class is there is a Balcony. Blake loves the balcony. So for the rest of the hour long class Blake hung out up in the balcony playing with the turned off computer and yelling "Daddy Go". I just ignored him for the most part and tried to act like I was have such an awesome time throwing the ball up in the air to my self. All the other parents must think I am nuts. But some times Blake will get sick of yelling at me and he will come down and play for a minute. So after 10 trips to the balcony and 6 trips to the bathroom class was over. The kids, including Blake, all lined up and gave the coach five and got their treat. Blake may not be into sports and I am learning to accept that. I just consider this hour a week "Blake and Dad time". He can pick how he wants to spend it. As long as Blake is having fun that is all that matters. If I forget that please remind me.
I really enjoy our time together Blake. I love you so much.
3 comments:
I liked this post. Accepting ours kids for who they are is the best gift we can possibly give them. We can all do better at this. He is young and just beginning to discover the outside world. He'll gain confidence through the years. I thank the Lord for shy boys... they steal my heart. Your boys could not be any more adorable!
What a good dad! Just because basketball is not his thing at 3 doesn't mean sports are out...I just love Blake!
Ha ha he cracks me up, i just love him! Don't worry i'm sure he'll grow into the whole sports thing.
Post a Comment