Today Blake had his check up on his hand. Just so everyone knows the deal is off with Chris. Blake's blister popped the next day while Chris was at work, so I HAD to clean and bandage it up. It was horrible. And it's still horrible. I can't believe how bad it looks. And now it bleeds when we change the bandages. ugh.
Well, today we learned at his appointment that the burn was worse than they thought. It goes pretty deep into his hand, and it's right in the webbing by his thumb so it makes it a little worse. We spent most of our time today talking to the physical therapist. She said it was really important for us to stretch his wound at least 5 times a day for at least 5 minutes. She is also having us put a soft splint on when he sleeps to stretch it. Plus we need to change and clean his dressings twice a day. That is going to be quite a task for me, but it's important so I have to get some thick skin to deal with it.
We were also informed that this isn't going to be a quick healing thing....which I was hoping for. It will take a lot of time for this wound heal. They aren't sure if he'll need a skin graft, but we will hopefully know by next week. I don't think he will, but I thought it would be healed by next week too. I obviously don't know much.
So, I guess we'll be making more trips to the U burn center than I thought. I am very grateful that it is not infected and that it is healing as well as it should be. However, I still feel like a horrible Mom for letting this happen. Sometimes I just wish I could rewind and do things different!
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Oh man, I don't envy you at all! It's so hard to watch my kids get hurt. I am the biggest wimp. I am the worst at the sight of blood though. I do not stay calm in those situations. It's pathetic. I am just glad that Lamon is a nurse!! He does all the dirty work.
I am so sorry. I can't believe that he is going through that. You are all so tough!
I'm so sorry that you guys are having to deal with this! That poor little guy. I've never met you Alli, but I can tell by reading your blog that you are a great mom, and you shouldn't think otherwise because this happened. Things happen to ALL of us. It's a tough biz, this mom thing.
I really hope I never have to deal with a burn. ew. But we will pray for Blake and for you and that the burn will heal quicker than expected. :) Love you.
I'm so sorry honey. . .please give him a big kiss for me. I don't think I could do it with my grandkids but I guess when it is your child you just do it. I'm grateful it was on his hand and not his cute face. Blessings will come from this sometimes it's hard to see right now but there will be blessings come.
Poor you and poor blake! hopefully it gets better quickly!
Honestly, it just seems to never end sometimes! That little guy has had a rough road. You are a great mom, and you should have a hard time watching your little guy hurting. It's a good thing you are home full time!
Post a Comment